Transitions - from Mother to Crone

Morning all, may the day bring all you need.

In my last post, I mentioned that we were using the combined health  properties of regular doses of lemon & ginger water, and immunity boosting Turmeric paste to help ward off general cold and flu viruses, and by extension, Covid 19.

My husband is a recent convert to the above, he's been following the regime for about a month, however, I have been following it for just over three months now ... for a very different reason ... to help reduce some of the symptoms of Menopause.


Yes, as the title of the post suggests, this witch is now entering a phase of transition from Mother to Crone. A perfectly natural process and one which I aim to embrace,especially now that I have found a natural remedy for my most annoying symptoms.

Symptoms of Menopause are many, including weight gain and the inability to shift it ...no matter how hard we exercise or diet ... insomnia, tiredness, lethargy, depression, mood swings etc, etc ... the list goes on, and every woman will have a different experience in what symptoms cause her the most grief, and which are just a minor inconvenience.

For me, the main issues were as listed above, with my biggest issue surrounding my inability to shift the weight I'd gained since my ankle operation and prolonged recovery. In relation to this, not surprisingly, insomnia, tiredness, lethargy and depression came hot on its heels. Another unexpected symptom, and quite disconcerting, was my inability to hold a conversation, when simple word retrieval became an embarrassing joke!

Crunch time came, just over three months ago. I found myself sitting ... just sitting, staring out of the window watching, yet not watching, my young daughter in the garden. "I should be out there, with her. Why aren't I?"

So then I sat and thought about all that had gone on in our lives since the Op, and realised that amidst the long recovery, Menopause had started it insidious march, and if I didn't do something soon, I was in danger of losing the last eight years of my daughter's childhood under a cloud of  doom, gloom and self pity.

Enough was enough, and for the first time in over a year, I picked up my laptop and researched the socks off natural remedies. Now, what I came up with, may not suit everyone, but it has worked and continues to work, for me.

Since starting this self styled program, I have lost 1 stone in weight, gone from a size 18 to size 14 jeans (albeit still a little snug!), my energy levels have increased to the point where I now feel able and confident enough to take up Zumba. I'm sleeping much better, waking refreshed and am more active, generally, than I have been in a long time, and word retrieval is no longer an issue.

Yes, the weight loss is slow, but it's steady and as a result, should be less likely to pile back on whenever I look at a chip or a pudding.

The addition of Turmeric paste to any drink, is an acquired, but not unpleasant taste, so I would recommend working up to 1 teaspoon, three times a day during the first week or two. If you want to avoid the larger remnants of peppercorns in the bottom of your mug, use a strainer. 

Since I started taking these drinks, I can honestly say I have never felt hungry between meals, and I have had to reduce my portion sizes quite significantly, to avoid waste. I also tend to eat more steamed chicken and veg, because that's what I fancy, but if I've wanted a steak, I've had one, just with salad. Puddings I can take or leave, usually the latter these days.

As I've said, this may not suit everyone, but I'm happy with the results, so far. I recommend doing your own research and possibly checking with your G.P/ Medical Practitioner, before embarking on any diet plan, especially if you have pre-existing heath conditions. All I can say is that, so far, it has helped me regain my vitality, loose weight and keep my immune system healthy.


Lemon & Ginger

1x Fresh Lemon, 1"-2" Fresh Ginger Root, 1.5litres of boiling water, Large Jug.

Slice the lemon, peel and slice the ginger, add slices to the jug, then add freshly boiled water. stir and give the contents a press with a potato masher, then allow to cool down. When ready, I usually half fill a large glass with the mixture, then top up with freshly boiled water. Take first thing in the morning and just before bed.

Lemon is an excellent source of Vitamin C, useful in combating cold and flu symptoms.
Ginger also has many recorded health benefits, amongst them is the ability to suppress appetite and reduce the need to snack between meals.

For colds and flu, try adding a tablespoon of Honey to the fresh batch. Honey is renowned for its natural antibacterial properties and for soothing sore throats.


I'm not going to re-invent the wheel, so follow this link to find out all you need to know about and how to make Turmeric Paste 

I make my own paste following the recipe found in the above link. Once made it will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. It can be added to many foods and drinks, (Hubby takes his in hot chocolate, porridge and Horlicks) but I like to add a heaped teaspoon to a hot chocolate 2-3 times a day, but definitely first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I like to think it helps satisfy any chocolate cravings I may have had. I also use Nesquik chocolate powder, as it is classed as a complementary milk drink and includes vitamin D, iron and zinc.

 Will keep you posted on further developments.
Blessings

Willow


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ostara Blessings...

Daily Rune - ANSUZ